June 7th is proving to be a good day. Not only is it the birthday of legendary artist, Prince, it also happens to be the birthday of rising actress, Nia Jervier. Note: This is another one of those names you’re going to need to remember because we’ll be dropping it again in the future.
In honor of the wonderful Nia Jervier’s birthday we’re giving you FIVE reasons you should be on the look out for the rising star.
1. HER RESUME. She already has some dope gigs on her resume. Two that standout are the prize-winning film, Dear White People and the pilot presentation for a highly anticipated television series, Twenties. Dear White People has been on a film festival tour and if you haven’t seen it – you need to. The film’s next stop is the L.A. Film Festival on June 18. But if you haven’t already gotten your tickets you might want to plan to camp out in the rush line because the film sold out less than 72 hours after tickets went on sale. Not to rub it in, we’ve got our tickets so no worries, we’ll spill tea shortly after.
2. HER STYLE. She has an impeccable eye for decor, something that is also a passion of hers. Her couch (which basically has a resume of its own), a vintage find she reupholstered herself, has been featured in photo shoots, films and was even used in the Twenties pilot. Take a moment to raid her Instagram archive filled with candid shots of her and friends and instantly you see, the girl’s got taste.
3. HER ROLE MODELS. One of her acting sheroes is the always fabulous, legendary Diahann Carroll. A history maker in her own right for her show, Julia – one of the first shows to star a Black woman in a non-stereotypical role, we can see why the lovely Ms. Jervier would hold her as one of her personal inspirations. Who you admire most says a lot about you and rumor has it Ms. Jervier has some incredible women on her list.
4. HER CLIQUE. Ain’t nobody messing with her clique. With a group of close friends of movers and shakers, playmakers, and other immensely talented folk like Lena Waithe, Ashley Blaine Featherson, and Justin Simien, it’s no wonder that Jervier is on the path to greatness. You know the old adages, “you are the company you keep,” and “birds of a feather flock together,” are timeless cliches for a reason – they’re true. And Nia Jervier is in great company.
5. HER. She’s here for others. That much is evident. She believes in encouraging others to follow their dreams. Check out a few installments of her video diary series called, Spill the Tea, appropriately titled considering the Trinidadian/British-style tea she loves to make is almost a guest star. She discusses her own struggle to live her truth and then uses her story to inspire others to find and pursue theirs. Follow her on Twitter or Instagram for little gems of positivity and encouragement. And if she’s following you, there’s a good chance you’ll get some back. Moments of communication with Ms. Jervier, be they via email or social networks, are nothing short of good vibes that leave you with good feelings.
With reasons like these, do you need any other reason to be on the look out for Nia Jervier?! I think not!
Happy Birthday Ms. Jervier, we at The Visibility Project hope you have one that is as awe-inspiring as you are and wish you many more!!